Need to cool off this summer? Check out these excellent places.
Record breaking heat! Sweltering. Agonizing? Some say so. I say so!
And we’re officially headed into “Fool’s Fall” here in St. George…that time when we think, “oh it will certainly cool off now that school started” :). LOL is the response I have to that one. So since Summer is far from over, where are the best places to cool off? We visited several and would love to hear about your favorites!
1. Pine Valley Recreation Area. As they say, if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em, and if you can’t beat the heat, just leave. The Pine Valley Recreation Area is located about 45 minutes away from St. George. The ducks love it, the kids love it, and the senior citizens love it. It only costs $6 to enter, and the town of Pine Valley is free to explore as well. The best part? It’s 20℉ cooler than St. George!
2. St. George Town Square and splash pad. This is one of my favorite places to cool off in the summer. It’s fun for all ages, and I’ve run through it with my kids many times over the years. It’s located right in the heart of downtown, and it’s completely free.
3. The St. George City Pool. I’ve been coming to this place for 40 years. As a matter of fact, it’s the place that most reminds me of the epic pool scene in “The Sandlot!”
We somehow missed a clip of the “hydrotube” slide, but for the super low entry fee, you can’t beat a good ol’ community pool!
4. Veyo Pool Resort & Crawdad Canyon Rock Climbing. Could there be a natural, spring-fed swimming pool in a volcanic canyon in the desert? The answer is yes, this is where you’ll find it. You’ll also have the chance to snack on a Pronto Pup, which is Utah’s version of a corndog. I’ve been coming to this place even longer than the St. George municipal pool, and as you can see in the video at 2:36, the crowds flock here even on weekdays.
5. Someone else’s swimming pool 😎. If all else fails, find a friend, family member, or neighbor who has a pool. That’s what I did most recently!
What did we miss? What are your favorite spots to cool off? Let us know!